Supporting Persons with Developmental Disabilities
By Amy Hancock
With recent cuts to the provincial budget many people feared the worst for some of Alberta's important social programs, including the Persons with Developmental Disabilities (PDD). The Alberta Human Services has stated
that the PDD isn't being cut. "It is being transformed to ensure it achieves the best results for the people supported by the program and to ensure that people get the services they need."
Coffee News has an invested interest in supporting persons with developmental disabilities. We work with agencies in smaller communities and help provide delivery jobs for some of their clients with disabilities. In many cases these clients would not be able to work without assistance.
"Through this employment with Coffee News these individuals are learning job skills and social skills, among other things," said Walter Heuvingh of Coffee News.
By using agency provided job coaches, individuals are able to receive on-the-job training and assistance. Although some clients are unable to drive, the job coach takes them to each distributor and the individual goes inside to make the actual delivery.
"They are getting out there, connecting with the people in the restaurants and are able to make a little extra money that might help improve their quality of life," said Heuvingh.
"A mother of one of our employees told us her son has improved dramatically in the last 6 years he's been delivering Coffee News." Walter continued, "in the beginning he would shy away from people and now he is totally socialable and even participating in our meetings!"
Coffee News is proud to be able to support persons with developmental disabilities and it is our way of giving back to the community. By supporting us, you are an important contributor to this cause. Thank you!
For more information on PPD visit Alberta Human Services.
- Out with the Old In with the New
- Make the most of your Winter Escape
- Benefits of Storage for Small Business
- First Aid Requirements for Business Owners
- Simple Summer Marketing Ideas
- Business Coaching
- A Vacation on Wheels
- Promotional Products: Tips from the Pro's!
- Time For a New Roof
- Invest in computer Training
Coffee News in the Community -- Giving Back
- Coffee News - 25 Year's of Community Support
- Coffee News Canada on Global TV
- Supporting Persons with Developmental Disabilities
- Tips for Recruiting Seasonal Employees
- Coffee News President Radio Interview
- Quick & Easy Ideas for Christmas Marketing
- Coffee News Bucks Contest Rules
- Coffee News - In the News
- Nearly $50, 000 Dollars Raised!
- Coffee News Proud to sponsor the Kidney Foundation
Tips for Business Owners
- Why Print Beats Digital - And What it Means for Your Business
- Balancing Business & Family
- Transforming the Workplace
- How to Use LinkedIn to Grow your Small Business
- The 7 Most Deadly Sins of Print Advertising
- Obtaining & Retaining Quality Employees
- When Winter Won't end
- New Years Goals for Small Business
- Small Businesses Prepare for Christmas Marketing
- Engaging Web Visitors to Generate Sales Leads